Monday 5 June 2017

To the Editor of the Weekly Irish Times, 15th July 1893

Dear Mr Editor, - A few evenings ago I was telling an old lady about the discussion on the Banshee at present going on in the Letter-Box column, and, infected by "Marjory's" inquisitiveness, I asked what the Banshee is supposed to be. As I had never heard the explanation before, and as none of your other correspondents have mentioned it, I shall tell you what my friend told me.

The Banshee is an ancestress of the family she warns, who has been taken away by the fairies, but is allowed to mourn thus for her friends, although they never see her. I think it is a pity that this quaint poetic belief in the Banshee should die out. I have always believed in her for no other reason than that I love all those old Irish legends, and I do not think it necessary to examine too closely into their truth. But I am grateful to your correspondents for giving me reason for my faith in the Banshee.

Truth to tell, I did not think she would bear discussion so well. I thought that, surely, even the most obdurate sceptic must be converted by "M.E.C.'s" experience, but somehow I fear "Marjory's" volley of questions have an air of doubt and suspicion about them even still.

However, as I am not an authority, I will not attempt to answer her questions.
- Yours sincerely,
Hyacinth.


Sir. - Notwithstanding all that has appeared about the Banshee in the columns of this paper, it is somewhat strange that no convincing proof has yet been given of how the belief in its existence originated. After all, Mr Victory's article is founded on the gossip of a naturally superstitious people, and cannot well be taken as the true history of a superstition regarded differently in other parts of Ireland. Most of your corresponsdents do not believe in its existence, and some are agreed as to the form it takes, so the only question appears to be is, how the belief in the Banshee originated.

It is difficult to trace a superstition. History sheds no light on the subject beyond the fiction of novels and stories, and when all depends on the exaggerated statements of an innocent people it is not wonderful that we still find believers in the Banshee. - Yours, &c.,
M. Cahal-Mor.

No comments:

Post a Comment